Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Our Faith

Eric and I have always believed in God and knew of His healing powers. At first we had just accepted Avery's diagnosis, felt honored that He would entrust us with this special baby but wondered why.

On Oct. 9th we had to take Brodie to the vet. He had an ear infection that we needed to get checked out. A good friend of mine from childhood, Amanda Compton Smith, was working and we told her about Avery. She then relayed what we told her to Dr. Dawn Hill, who takes care of both of our pups. She meet us at the check out and asked to talk to us. We went outside and she asked us what was going on so we explained to her Avery's diagnosis but we felt that we could go back for our follow up ultrasound and everything be fine. She asked to pray with us and of course we said yes! She laid her hands on my stomach and prayed for Avery's healing. It was amazing! When we got home I needed to shower, I looked in the mirror and guess what? Avery had grown! I knew our miracle was in the process! I just knew with all my heart the Lord was going to heal her physical body and I was going to give birth to child with arms and legs of normal length. Although we never saw any improvement in her ultrasounds my faith never wavered. God created us in His image and His image is not someone of "small" stature.

When Avery arrived with dwarfism we never saw any deformity. She was our precious baby girl, who was just perfect! Even though she was very sick we knew our God could do anything. If He chose to call her home she did a mighty big job for such a small girl. She brought thousands together in prayer, she saved my marriage, and brought ET and I closer to God. She touched the lives of so many and I hope that all the parents out here who have read or heard of Avery will cherish their children. I have received so many comments and emails about how our story has been shared and touched someones life in some way. She served her purpose. I know when she reached the gates of heaven the Lord welcomed her with open arms and said, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." As much as I want her here, I know how selfish that is, but she is in heaven playing with all the other children God called home and what better care to be in than in the care of God.

As the days go on, they seem longer and harder. We have been so busy getting her funeral arrangements made and getting settled back at home, I know when it all settles it will be hard. Eric goes back to work in a week and I am still taking off till April, the days at home alone will be hard but it will be a good healing time, time spent in the Word, and in prayer. It will give me time to sort through my life and get my priorities in order. I am thankful for the wonderful friends and family we have. They have been amazing and I couldn't have made it through without them. Especially my fantastic husband. He has been my rock. It seems like when he is upset, I am okay and can cheer him up and vice versa. He knows just what to say to make things better, at least for the time being.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Becky..when I read this it brings tears to my eyes. Little Avery and you all was a inspiration to me. I didnt realize how unhappy and selfish I have been throughout life. I never realized how much I have deserted God and blew him off. I dont know why God does things like taking Avery, but I agree with you in saying we cant be selfish and ask why, because all we can do is think positive and know she made a impact on so many people. I wish I could have met her! I cannot stop thinking about the service and you. I dont know how you did it, but I know I think about you all and pray for you all. I hope that God will help me to be a person like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, this is so amazing...Avery did reach many people and you know what, she's not done, through you and Eric, she will continue to reach many more. The thing that God has made me realize in my life is that everything we go through is to reach, touch and minister to someone else for His glory. I believe that God is going to open many doors for you and Eric to minister through Avery's story! I love you and I am so proud and blessed to call you friend! :)

    ReplyDelete